Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tropical Delights

Snow in April?!...WTH!! I know, I know, I live in Michigan so I should expect the unexpected... but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
This inclimate weather is making me long for the time last fall when I visited the lush island of Dominica with my friends Diane and Harold. Aside from the beautiful landscape I was most affected by the fresh island food. Each day we would have some type of fish, fresh baked breads, and vegetables like bread fruit and avocado.
My favorite by far was the tropical fruits, like pineapple, coconut and sugarcane. These fruits have important health benefits.
Pineapple 1. Good for the health of the thyroid and lungs 2. Excellent for digestion and helping to relieve constipation 3. Fresh pineapple juice is also used in removing intestinal worms. 4. Fresh pineapple juice has been used to combat infections 5. Prevents nausea includes morning sickness and motion sickness
Coconut 1. Good for building muscles 2. Helps to relieve constipation and build-up of gas in the stomach and intestinal tract. 3. Coconut milk has been found to help sore throats, as well as relieving stomach ulcers. 4. Coconut oil has been found to heal cuts, scratches, burns and sunburns and is good for the scalp and hair. 5. Coconut water is good for kidney and urinary bladder problems.
Sugarcane 1. Has no simple sugar and is low on the glycemic index, so it can be enjoyed by diabetics without any fear. 2. Beneficial for preventing, as well as treating sore throat, cold and flu. 3. Helps the body in fighting against cancer, especially prostate & breast cancer. 4. Helps the body feel invigorated and revitalized and will quickly hydrate the body during prolonged exposure to heat while doing physical activities. 5. Believed to strengthen stomach, kidneys, heart, eyes, brain and sex organs.
Being born and raised in the metro Detroit area, I had never experienced eating fresh sugarcane. Let's just say, now I'm a sugarcane junky. Consider these and other tropical delights to add some variety to your diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment